Friday 23 October 2009

Britain finds its voice on green issues for ordinary people

The Energy Saving Trust's competition shows it's high time ordinary people were involved in dialogue on climate change
If you happened to pass by College Green near the Houses of Parliament yesterday morning you may have witnessed a bizarre sight. In the middle of the lawn, a grinning woman was perched upon a green and gold throne, dressed in a vivid green sash and posing for a group of photographers.
No, it wasn't Katie Price or Miss World. It was me - a blogger from Billericay in Essex. I have just won a competition run by the Energy Saving Trust to find the Green Voice of the UK. The Trust has been looking for someone to speak up for the man or woman on the street on green issues, as well as become an independent voice on low carbon living.
And, after 100 entries were whittled down to four finalists, I was selected. The last time I won anything it was a packet of biscuits in a church raffle. I had to give a speech and then grill the minister of state for energy and climate change, Joan Ruddock on her green policies. No pressure, then.
But I am very excited and looking forward to getting stuck into my role. It's high time that ordinary people – not just politicians or experts - were involved in the dialogue on climate change. We know the planet is in jeopardy, and we each have our part to playing in saving it, so what is stopping us from introducing more energy saving measures around our homes and businesses?
Are people worried about the cost implications in the recession? Are they confused about the options or just tired of being nagged? I want to talk directly to people and hear their concerns because it's vital that the Green Voice of the UK is also an ear. I think we need to pinpoint obstacles preventing us from going green before we can encourage more people to do so. We must also find ways to make it easier to save energy and recycle items. By engaging directly with people in the UK, we may come up with some innovative new suggestions and schemes.
I am not an eco-warrior by any means. My partner Douglas and I try to live a thrifty lifestyle – I write a Frugal Life blog and recently wrote a book on spending less and living more. We grow our own veg, keep chickens, and save as much water as we can. But, like many other people, I still have bad habits.
Feel free to get in touch via the comments below, the Energy Saving Trust's website, my Twitter profile or my blog to tell me your concerns about saving energy or to send me your ideas and suggestions.